Catholic Professional concluding Eucharistic celebration
- Photographs: Colin Yaum and Eden Estrandarte
Port Moresby: On the 11th of December, the Port Moresby Catholic Professional Society (CPS) Chapter concluded the year with a thanksgiving Eucharistic celebration at St Joseph’s Parish Church. The main celebrant of the mass was the CPS Spiritual Director, Fr Ambrose Pereira SDB, with Fr Urban Kalimet, MSC and Fr Giorgio Licini PIME as concelebrants. Present were the CPS members, Vuvu Alumini Pom Chapter and Peter ToRot foundation members who attended as affiliates.
The members were invited to reflect on their calling as Catholic Professionals amidst the fears and struggles, problems, and pains as we navigate our pandemic times. “You have immense talents and gifts”, said Fr Ambrose at the sermon. “Use them to promote joy and happiness in your families and in the community. As Catholics we need to be faithful to the celebration of the Sacraments - the Eucharist, Reconciliation and Marriage”, he continued.
At the end of mass, on behalf of the Catholic Professional Society’s President, Mr. Paul Harricknen the Vice President Dr Patricia Paraide thanked Fr Ambrose for his spiritual leadership that has assisted the CPS members to serve others in good faith and in the light of Christ. She acknowledged the presence of all and said that our solidarity and togetherness at the Eucharist was to thank God for the Divine wisdom, courage, peace, and strength to live our Catholic faith and reach out in loving service to people.
In 2021, the Catholic Professional Society was able to deliver some of its planned services for the year amidst varying challenges including the Covid 19 disruptions. Examples of these are:
· the establishment of the CPS office at the ICRAF located at Korobosea,
· build up a coalition of lawyers for a legal aid programme to help deal with issues such as gender-based violence, family sexual violence, sorcery accuse related violence, State violence and human rights abuses.
· Launched the Lae CPS chapter on October 03, 2021 which was officiated by the Apostolic Nuncio, Archbishop Fermin and Bishop Rozario of Lae.
· In late July 2021, CPS at its Annual General Meeting elected new executive members which included: Mr Paul Harricknen, re-elected as President, Dr Patricia Paraide, Vice President, Mr Michael Varapik, re-elected as honorary treasurer, Mr Colin Yaum as Secretary, Mr Kila Ai re-elected as Member), Amb. Gabriel Dusava, re-elected Member, and Ms Florence Sariman as Member. The former members of the Executive who did not seek re-election were Dame Jean Kekedo, former Vice President, Ms Cecilia Teliwa (former Secretary) and Mrs Amanda Yauieb, former Member.
· A convention of Election 2022 awareness and campaign for good governance and candidates of good standing was planned for the end of October but this has been postponed to early 2022 because of Covid restrictions.
The celebrations ended with a lively interaction amongst the members. Words of appreciation and gratitude were exchanged for milestones completed, issues discussed and a focus realigned. A delicious lunch was shared by all.